Thursday, May 30, 2013

OCG VII - Day 5 - Show #1

Day 5 - Show #1 - First Church in Cambridge
Day of the first gig.  Short version of last night is that we had dress rehearsal, and that I noted a bit of hesitation on my own part.  One interesting comment from Robert, regarding the "Lord Have Mercy" exercise.  I hope I can remember to apply it.  Also, had an insight about ensemble playing that I know I've experienced before, but became newly apparent last night:  light quick playing is necessary in groups of large number, because of the sludge that happens when everyone plays a different version of legato, or even staccato.

Off to the sitting.  A couple of lay-ins in the room.

8:00 - Breakfast.

11:40 - Comments about goodwill over breakfast, and a deep silence to match.  RF comments about "putting it in the bank".  Finally performed Level T.

New strings on the guitar.  Warming up.  Texting back and forth with Ieva to get a small guitar part for Tom. She'll also be helping with this gig as security and otherwise.

Lunch at 12:00.  The 60 Point Exercise begins at this time.  That certain feeling in the air. . .

4:30 - Now in Cambridge.  Performance space is beautiful.  When we walk in to see the space, it is immediately apparent that we were in a good place.  Silence visits.

We're to be circled up and ready a few minutes before 5:00.  I check my phone a minute or two prior and see that Ieva's called me twice and left me several messages:  she doesn't know specifically what part I'm talking about for Tom, and the sales clerk at Guitar Center is a moron.  I try to fix this, and Sandra sees that it's taking me too long, takes my phone, and takes over the conversation, sending me into the circle.  Smart move:  I'm already getting pissed at the clerk that I'll never see.

Procession chords strapped on, and Elisa leads us into the space.  As we walk in and around the space, I have an experience I've never had before of actually being able to listen away from my own guitar and hear the resonance of the room.  As a whole, the shimmering and ethereal quality of the Orchestra is beyond anything I've ever heard before.

During soundcheck/blocking, I have a very interesting picture of an audience member coming up into the space we'll be performing in, as we perform.

Procession back out, and just as we leave the space, I look off to my right and see Ieva waiting for me in the hall, and all I can think about, even as I'm concentrating, is getting thirty seconds with her.  Once the circle breaks, I scamper off to see her, get the bridge pins from her, and then have to let her go again as I get the pins to Tom and begin to prepare.

7:00 - Quiet time.

7:15 - A snafu with the ticketing system has led ticket holders to believe that the performance begins at 7:00, not 8:00; the heavy rain outside makes this unbearable, and I will later find out that at least one person demanded a refund.  Robert comes to the green room and calls for all high flyers to circle up.  My feet immediately bring me to the circle, and even though I'm a little apprehensive, I stick with it.  A group of about 15 or so of us head out to perform as "the opening act", with Mary Beth leading and Victor directing.  Circulations, some repertoire.  Victor calls THRAK, and counts it off--on the first note, my guitar strap gives out, and I play the entire piece with a cocked leg to support the guitar.  Sounds good, though.  A "when ready, begin", and Where is the Nurse? to carry us out.  Back into the green room for 7:45.

Robert gives the ceremonial pick to each of us at a few minutes before 8:00, advising that these are early prototypes, and are probably not good to play with.  Los Internationales out at 5 of 8:00.  Returning shortly after, and we all head out just around 8:00.

8:00 - Long procession around the space, leading to a tight spiral on the dais.  And then, we begin to explore the space and the show proceeds from there.

Procession
Encircle/spiral
Exploring the space
Repertoire:  Red, Voices of Ancient Children, Berceuse, Askesis
Cell-weaving
Whizz formation
Encore:  Schizoid Man
Encore:  Asturias/Whizz/Procession

Several moments stand out, for me.  Several points of interaction during the first improvisation, and then "conducting" the Orchestra to close it out (they didn't get the first cue, but then they all picked up on it).  Holding the moment afterward, and then letting it go, to very happy applause.

Realizing that I was directly on the outside of the horseshoe, in front of everyone.  Watching someone be very angry at another person during Red.

Playing around with Chris and a few others; Sandra comes whooshing through right as we start to fall asleep.  Finding that I was the tail of a snake that was comprised entirely of women, and deciding to go with it anyway.  That same snake moving into slow, Tai Chi-like movements.

Winking at Ieva during the whizz.

Hearing uproarious applause as we left the space, and finding out that Schizoid Man re-entered the house to a big standing ovation.

Returning for Asturias, and as we approached the twinkle section, and it stretched out, we began to zither procession chords around the circle.  These grew quieter and quieter, until they dropped out entirely, and we began to circulate silence.  And then we whizzed silence.  This went on for a while, longer than I could bear, and then RF began to play the bass line to Asturias to bring it back in again.  Back through Asturias, and then breaking into procession chords.  Procession around the space again.  Twinkles that went on, and on, and then too long, and then it was suddenly obvious that they had to go on that long.  Procession into the green room, amid stunned silence from the audience.  And then an eruption of applause that went on for some time.

An unfisting, afterward.

My guitar in the case, and I go out to meet friends; Becky came out, and she's incredibly grateful for the performance.  She asks me how we did it, and I realize just how wiped out I am as I answer "I have no idea".  A quick goodbye, and a chat with Mali, who also came to play security for us.  She is also very happy about the performance.

And then Ieva, who also reports that her father was there, but left shortly afterward.  Later, she'll report that he liked the show quite a bit.  Having her meet a number of my friends.

Back on the bus at 10:10.  Back to Camp Caravan.

In the cabin, a lot of blowing of energy.  I get a little Mr. Crafty about it as I'm catching up in my journal.  The awful smell of wet cloth handled by a bunch of men doesn't help it either.

To bed, not long after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment