Monday, May 8, 2017

A week's recounting - Day "I skipped a few"

As is usually the case, I skipped a few.  It's been a heavy week, though.

Was asked by my new roommates if I would be able to front an extra half-month of rent, since apparently my sublease date range is offset from the actual apartment's lease rate.  This is awkward.

An eruption in the family is threatening to really pull the unit apart, and I am caught in the middle, feeling not unlike what I imagine it must be for a diplomat for the US to feel in peace talks between Israel and Palestine, with both sides wrong in their ways, and both sides utterly convinced of their own purity of cause.

A moment from the other night:  I am listening to a family member tell me what she thinks of another member of the family, and how he has caused her a deeply felt offense that she does not feel she can forgive him for.  I point out that forgiving him is utterly necessary, and that as offensive as he may be, it will still be best to forgive him, and to tell him about his offenses without judgment--a tall order, I acknowledge.  The answer to this is that yes, she can forgive him on a personal level, but that for the sake of everyone else that his words offend, she can't forgive him on a grander scale.  It is about here that her arguments begin to be supplanted by slogans, and that I feel I am doing nothing except wasting energy.

The weekend was generally fine.  I half-summoned the courage to ask someone out on a sort-of-date, but this did not quite happen, which ultimately was probably for the better.  It does not change the fact that I continue to have a really serious problem about this.

Nellie McKay on Saturday evening:  delightful.  Absolutely wonderful.

Sunday night:  possibly the most unexpected and flagrant display of misogyny I've been party to in a very long time.  So bad that I thought it was a joke, but the weirdly aggressive driving (this was an Uber ride) really demonstrated that it was not a joke.  I may have cost someone a job by complaining about it, and I actually feel a little bit not-great about that, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Back at work today:  the continued feeling of fraudulence continues to continue, even though I know I am doing a good job.  In any case:  our warehouse manager has put in his two weeks, which means that work will become more difficult again for my boss and myself, as we'll probably begin to trade off on days in Oxnard.  This makes needing a car even more imperative than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment